Re: [Help-bash] Where the complete behavior of & is documented?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Where the complete behavior of & is documented?
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 12:41:43 -0700

Chet Ramey wrote:
> When Dave Lennert was at HP, he wrote a really good paper about how they
> had reconciled the process handling and process group differences between
> 4.2 BSD and System V. This eventually became the basis of the POSIX
> process model.
>
> I'm not going to send it to the mailing list, but you can find a copy at
> http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~pcs/apps/bash/job.control.ps.

Thank you Chet for this pointer!

It was a work that I was personally not previously aware.  I am
familiar with his other work such as his seminal paper, How to Write a
UNIX Daemon by Dave Lennert but this one you reference, A System V
Compatible Implementation of 4.2BSD Job Control by David C. Lennert,
had escaped my notice thus far.  I have only been able to skim it
briefly but it appears to be typical of the high quality of Dave's
works.  I have already learned several things from it.

"A good pilot is always learning."  And the same is true of
engineers and programmers too! :-)

Bob