[Help-bash] Disable the "modify history with arrow keys" feature

From: 林自均
Subject: [Help-bash] Disable the "modify history with arrow keys" feature
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 16:24:50 +0800

Hi,

I found that bash has the following behavior:

1. Use arrow key to navigate to a history command (e.g., "echo 5566").
2. Modify the command (e.g., change to "echo 7788").
3. Instead of hitting enter to execute it, use arrow keys to navigate to
other commands.
4. Ctrl+C
5. The history is modified (e.g., "echo 5566" is changed to "echo 7788").

This feature bothers me a lot since I don't expect that I can modify
history in such obscure method. Especially the fact that step 3 above is
necessary to modify the history makes me feel so weird.

Is there any way to disable such behavior? Thanks.

Best,
John Lin