Re: [Help-bash] Command completion with * in the middle?

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: [Help-bash] Command completion with * in the middle?
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 14:31:21 -0600

> Sounds like you should look at the `show-all-if-ambiguous' readline
> variable.

Yes. That solves the problem.

But I feel the completion is sluggish. I think this is due to the
subshell involved in $(). Is it? Is there a way to directly write the
output of compgen to COMPREPLY without invoking another process?

f() { COMPREPLY=($(compgen -c -X '!'"$3")); }

In fact, I have to abandon bash-completion due to its sluggishness. I
guess the problem is also due the problem of excessive use of
subshells or additional processes that we talked about before?

https://github.com/scop/bash-completion

Peng