Re: how bash run by crontab is different from login bash shell?

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: how bash run by crontab is different from login bash shell?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 12:01:09 -0500

No. I don't think so. For all the cases Greg that insisted on knowing
the context, they are all non relevant. If there were a context issue,
I would extract the minimal info from the context in order to make the
questions addressable. But I don't think his request of unlimited
context info (to the point that can not be used to solve the given
question) is necessary and is a distraction of the real question.

On 9/11/20, Marco Ippolito <maroloccio@gmail.com> wrote:
> There have been cases when knowing the intended purpose would have been
> useful though, and possibly influence the reply (in content or required
> effort to answer). Outlining context is not always required info, and on
> occasion it can be distracting, but I can see how the historical cases
> mentioned by Greg could serve as an example of the need to improve problem
> framing going forward.
>
> On Fri, 11 Sep 2020 at 14:31, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Greg, I don’t think your reply add much new info here. The problem
>> mentioned in this thread has been resolved. See my email replied before.
>>
>> I’ve replied to you more than once why your demand of “goal” is not
>> relevant. You seemed just didn’t listen.
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 6:44 AM Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org>
>> wrote:

>> > Asking Peng Yu for their goal has never worked in the entire history
>> > of bug-bash and help-bash, so I stopped even trying.  I won't tell you
>> > to give up, but I'm giving you fair warning that on this road there
>> > is only frustration.
>> >
>> > As near as I can tell, the only things that cron job will accomplish
>> > are
>> > wasting a lot of CPU, and spamming the system log files.  It'll also
>> > probably ensure that bash and this nonstandard-location loadable
>> > builtin
>> > are both retained in the file cache forever.
>> >
>> > Then again, the cron job is obviously censored, so who knows what other
>> > misinformation Peng Yu is feeding you....
>> >
>> > --
>> Regards,
>> Peng

Peng