Re: how bash run by crontab is different from login bash shell?

From: Eli Schwartz
Subject: Re: how bash run by crontab is different from login bash shell?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 14:07:39 -0400

On 9/11/20 1:01 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> No. I don't think so. For all the cases Greg that insisted on knowing
> the context, they are all non relevant. If there were a context issue,
> I would extract the minimal info from the context in order to make the
> questions addressable. But I don't think his request of unlimited
> context info (to the point that can not be used to solve the given
> question) is necessary and is a distraction of the real question.
It is true that not every question requires real-world context. It is
also true that Greg engaged in an ad hominem attack.

I even agree that this case required no context. A clear, reproducible
test case for cron on macOS resulting in thirdparty bash loadables
returning "file system sandbox blocked open()".

However, I do think it is a bit much for you to act innocent here. In
fact, it's more than a bit much, it's a lot much.

I've seen a lot of questions on this list which you have posted. I don't
recall even *one* time where you have ever provided context. Under any
circumstances.

I think this is the first time you've ever been right in claiming the
context is not needed. Greg is rightfully irked at your historic
behavior. And he frequently points this out, not just in this thread.

It's such a predictable (and annoying) behavioral trend, that you've
managed to burn a lot of goodwill, and now everything you ever say is
automatically suspect, and automatically gets criticized for continuing
the trend, without Greg bothering to analyze whether, for once, you are
actually justified. Weirdly enough, you were justified. This once.

I don't consider that a defensible position for you to take, though.
Specifically because you're responding as though you are a conscientious
questioner (you are not) who provides the needed context whenever a
question needs it (you do not), based on *one* case where it did not
need it and you didn't provide it.

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User