RE: Help with file: checksum=md5

From: Michael Coffman
Subject: RE: Help with file: checksum=md5
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 08:19:49 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Andrews, Martin wrote:

 > Michael,
 >
 > You need to send ChecksumUpdates to change entries in the database. I have a
 > section like:
 >
 > control:
 >     # Define this if you want to update the checksum database (after
 >     # updating the OS, for instance).
 >
 >     newsum::
 >     ChecksumUpdates = ( on )

 Thanks.  Where is this documented?  I don't see it in the Reference Manul
 at http://www.iu.hioslo.no/cfengine/docs/cfengine-Reference.html

 This worked but I still don't think it is what I want.

 I want to have a local copy of a file that can be edited by the machines
 owner, when it is changed I want to detect this and merge the changes
 with a master file into the actual derived file.

 I don't know how to identify when the local copy, say /etc/inetd.conf.local,
 has changed if I don't have a reference file.  I thought the checksum database
 would serve this purpose, but it is not very clean since the define is not
 executed unless an action is taken.

 How are others doing this?