Re: Install instructions for cfengine 2?

From: Andrew Mayhew
Subject: Re: Install instructions for cfengine 2?
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 01:24:19 -0800

Unfortunately, a full set of 2.x documents does not exist yet.  Luckily, the
1.6.x documentation really is a good starting point.  The biggest
differences in starting out are the renamed cfagent and cfservd (cfengine
and cfd respectively).  The configuration syntax is still valid as 2.0 adds
functionality without breaking older syntax.  You can still continue to use
cron to schedule cfagent and if you only intent to do scheduled events then
there are no additional deamons that need to run on client machines.

While there are plenty of new features in 2.x, it is backwards compatible
with all the 1.6.x stuff.  I believe that the documentation or lack thereof
is something which Mark is working or will be working on more once LISA 2001
is over (which if you can get to San Diego for the week of Dec 7th you
should go to the conference).

An example run line might be:
${CFBINDIR}/cfagent -f ${CFINPUTS}/cfagent.conf

--Andy Mayhew <amayhew@icewire.com>