Cfengin problems when copying large amounts of data over the net

From: Daniel Riek
Subject: Cfengin problems when copying large amounts of data over the net
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:17:19 +0100

Hi,

perhaps I missed something for the config, but I have a problem distributing
larg amounts of data over a lan with cfengine 2a16.

We are using cfengine for the management of a server farm. On job here is
the distribution of software updates in form of rpm-packets and tarballs.
The software lays in several subdirectories according to the system-class
it should be installed on (eg. webservers, infrastructure servers, ...).
If new software is copied, we use a define to have cfengine run rpm -U or
-F over the directory. - So far this works as we intend.

One special case are the infrastructure servers. They are two in a redundant
ha setup (infra1 and infra2). All management is done from infra1 and I tried
to use cfengine to copy the software repository to infra2 when something
changes. Thus in the first run of cfagent on infra2 a lot of files is going
to be copied (a whole RedHat RPM-tree, ao.).
Now after some time of running and copying I will get something like the
following output for the rest of the files:
cf:infra2: /opt/alcove-iso/install-RPMS-new/RPMS/rwall-server-0.17-10.i386.rpm
wasn't at destination (copying)
cf:infra2: Copying from
infra.skk-eb:/opt/alcove-iso/install-RPMS-new/RPMS/rwall-server-0.17-10.i386.rpm
cf:infra2: WARNING: new file
/opt/alcove-iso/install-RPMS-new/RPMS/rwall-server-0.17-10.i386.rpm.cfnew seems
to have been corrupted in transit, aborting!
cf:infra2: /opt/alcove-iso/install-RPMS-new/RPMS/rxvt-2.7.6-4.i386.rpm wasn't
at destination (copying)
cf:infra2: Copying from
infra.skk-eb:/opt/alcove-iso/install-RPMS-new/RPMS/rxvt-2.7.6-4.i386.rpm
cf:infra2: WARNING: new file
/opt/alcove-iso/install-RPMS-new/RPMS/rxvt-2.7.6-4.i386.rpm.cfnew seems to have
been corrupted in transit, aborting!

Then the .cfnew are purged and sometimes cfagent segfaults, sometimes just runs
through.
Is it possible, that the checksum cache is exhausted, or something like
that? The file copy itself actually works correctly for the md5sum on the
.cfnew that
is purged lateron is the same as the of the original file on the policyhost.

Another things was, that a15 sometimes segfaultet when trying to copy
symlinkgs during a recursive directory copy. But I did not try that
with a16 now.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Daniel

--
Daniel Riek <riek@de.alcove.com>   -    http://www.alcove.com/de/
* Technical Manager                -    Tel.:   +49 (0)22 28 / 9 33-2 50