Building beta 2 on Mac OS X

From: Stephen Butler
Subject: Building beta 2 on Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 12:10:12 +0100

I managed to get most of cfengine 2.0 beta 2 to build on Mac OS 10.1.3 with the December developer tools.

I ran apt-get to install the BerkeleyDB 3.3 and openssl 0.9.6b binary packages from fink.sourceforge.net. I had to modify cfengine's configure.ac (and rerun autoconf) to look in /sw/include/db3 for the db3 headers and /sw/lib for libs, because the Fink tool installs applications to /sw, to avoid collisions with tools supplied by Apple.

Cfengine's getopt.o contains several symbols defined by /usr/lib/libpthread.dylib (part of the OS). Apparently, Apple's linker won't tolerate multiple definitions of symbols. Linker flags didn't solve the problem, so I prepended "cfe_" to those symbols in getop.h and getopt.c.

OS X lacks a getaddrinfo function for ipv6 (which I confirmed in the bug list at opensource.apple.com), so I had to manually comment out "#define HAVE_GETADDRINFO 1" in cfengine's conf.h.

OS X also lacks full pthread support, the pthread_setmask function in particular, so I manually commented out "define HAVE_LIBPTHREAD 1" in conf.h. That took care of cfservd, but I couldn't build cfexecd at all.

The doc build failed, but that's not a big deal for me right now, since I make PDFs with CMacTex. The fonts look good, but there are no indices because version 4.0 of texindex chokes on the index files. I'll try an older version of texindex soon.

Has anybody else built cfengine 2.0 on OS X?

Can anyone offer advice on which of these hacks deserve to be patches?

Thanks,
Steve