Re: Newbie Question regarding commenting out all the lines without hash

From: Paul Paradise
Subject: Re: Newbie Question regarding commenting out all the lines without hash marks
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:28:28 -0700

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 08:01:10AM +0200, Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:
> > editfiles:
> >   { /etc/inetd.conf
> >    HashCommentLinesMatching "^[^#]"
> >   }
> >
> > But this doesn't seem to do anything.  Running an egrep "^[^#]"
> > /etc/inetd.conf seems to work.  I'm using the latest cfengine,
> > 2.0.3.
>
> Your regexp matches only two characters, you need to write
>
> HashCommentLinesMatching "^[^#].*"

It seems to me that if I wanted to match a line with just a character
other than a hash at the beginning I would write "^[^#]$", not
"^[^#]". In general, shouldn't a regex assume .* at the beginning and
end of a particular pattern match unless it is specifically bound with

 Paul Paradise                                  paradise@qualcomm.com
 Interim Engineering Intern, QUALCOMM Incorporated       858.651.6655
 IT Host Services                                             AE-205C