Re: Cfservd keeps exiting.

From: Frank Smith
Subject: Re: Cfservd keeps exiting.
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 18:50:33 -0500

--On Monday, August 19, 2002 18:42:59 -0400 Sean Everson
<severson@combinenet.com> wrote:

Mark,

I installed the newer version (2.0.4pre) on both the machine running cfservd
and the "client" machine that I was running cfagent on and was able to
reproduce the problem.

The ips I am actually using are in the 192.168 space and my domain is the same
as my email address.  Nothing odd there.  I am *not* using DNS, just host
files for these machines as I am testing out my cfengine config before I
deploy it across my production network.  Could that be a potential problem?
Are there any known issues in the absence of full DNS?

I had problems with NAT'ed and unresolvable IPs (I think I was running 2.0.2
at the time).  Both crashes and problems with the admit (or grant) section of
cfservd.conf.  I think having everything in the hosts files cured the crashes,
but I couldn't get the grants to work correctly (when I tried using IPs instead
of subdomains I found out that cfengine did some regexing, so allowing or
denying x.x.x.8 would also affect x.x.x.80 etc).  My fix was to set up a bind9
DNS server with a local view authoritative for forward/reverse of my NATed
IP space and pointed the cfengine server at that.  It really didn't take long
to set up, and has helped out with some other issues unrelated to cfengine that
using private IPs had caused.
 There are probably other ways to avoid the problems I had, but having DNS work
forward and reverse on private IP space is really the way to go if other
software
is also involved.

Good luck,
Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith@hoovers.com
Systems Administrator                                     Voice: 512-374-4673