Ownership of home directories

From: Kirk Bauer
Subject: Ownership of home directories
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 14:14:47 -0400 (EDT)

I apologize for all the questions, but I hope they are fairly good ones.
I'm including a good bit of information on cfengine in a book I am
writing and I'm having some troubles getting some of the examples that I
want made.

1) Can anybody tell me how, with cfengine, to make sure that everything
in a user's home directory is owned by that user?  I'm not sure how to
set the 'owner=xx' so that xx is always the user's home directory being
processed.

2) I am also trying to set permissions properly on a file in all users'
home directories.  I only have the test file in one directory, and I get
this from cfagent:

cfengine:kaybee: Could not change to directory /home/kirk/testfile, mode 660 in
tidy

Yet, I have no reference to this file in tidy, just in files:

files:
   home/testfile mode=777 action=fixall inform=on

Unfortunately, it does not fix the modes, either.  Oh, and by the way, I
am just testing things at this time, so I don't have any mounting setup,
so I have set these variables in the control section in order to test
the use of the 'home' wildcard:

control:
   mountpattern = ( / )
   homepattern = ( home )