Re: CFengine on mobile machines?

From: Mark Burgess
Subject: Re: CFengine on mobile machines?
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:50:37 +0100 (MET)

On 19 Nov, Kai Großjohann wrote:
> "Wipf, Stefan" <Stefan.wipf@gs.com> writes:
>
>> You might try anacron instead of cron.
>> Better yet, run cfexecd in daemon mode (see documentation)
>
> How does anacron know that the laptop is online?  Or rather, how do I
> tell anacron to update the CFengine config when the laptop is online?
>
> The same questions apply to cfexecd...
>
> Of course, ideally, I'd like CFengine to update its config whenever
> the network isn't urgently needed otherwise.  If I'm traveling and
> plug in my laptop to quickly check my email, I don't want a lengthy
> download of the newest cfengine config...  So does cfengine do ESP?
>
> kai

You should not just run cfengine when the laptop is online, you
should just restrict non-local copies to when it is online.
Use Adrian's suggestion to define a class when you are online.

(Actually, this should be automatic -- I shall try to remember this
for the next version.)

I run cfengine on my own laptop without difficulty.