Re: copy action trigger another action

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: Re: copy action trigger another action
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:24:45 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Alan Sparks wrote:

> If I read you right, that's what I do as standard practice.  I use a
> define= on the copy action of a config file (ntp.conf, syslog.conf,
> whatever) that trips a shellcommand for that class to do whatever is
> necessary.

I've often wondered about copy (I am about to start using cfengine for a
bit of stuff, but am not now):  Does it always copy, or does it only copy
when the local file is different from the remote?  And if it only copies
when something has changed, does it only set the define then, or does it
always set the define?

In other words, if I set up to copy a config file, will it only copy that
config file when the local copy is different than the remote (either
because someone foolishly changed the local copy, or because the remote
config has been updated) and then set the define, or does it always copy
(given the repetition limits) and always define?

>From the limited use I've seen, it looks like it always copies, and always
defines, but I could be remembering incorrectly.

--
    "What is the sound of Perl?  Is it not the sound of a wall that
     people have stopped banging their heads against?"