running nohupped commands

From: Mark Price
Subject: running nohupped commands
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:48:28 -0400

Hi, there

It seems this basic message has already been sent, but it didn't show up in my mailbox, so here's the rerun.

First, introduction

I'm using debian and cfengine to run a network of weather sensors for the Applied Global Systems Lab at UNF.

I've been trying to get cfengine to take over doing a stop-start on some processes that are running under the nohup command, but so far have been unsuccessful. I'm using the "shellcommands" group. Every attempt has had the result that a manual run of cfagent --no-splay never dies until I kill the shell commands I have run, and that the commands weren't actually working properly, some of them died and nohup.out was not being written to.
My first attempt was to just run the command, which just failed.
My second attempt was "command owner=0 group=0", since that's what it needed (output said it was running as uid=gid=-1). My third attempt was "command owner=0 group=0 useshell=false preview=false inform=false"
My fourth attempt was   "detachtty pipename command"
My fifth    attempt:          "screen -dmS pipename command"

Is there another strategy I can take?
Thanks

Mark Price