Re: rc.d links in SuSE

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: rc.d links in SuSE
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:20:33 -0500

Alexander Mattausch wrote:
Chip Seraphine schrieb:
So far I've just been making my local init stuff insserv-friendly and using cfengine to schedule a periodic running of chkconfig. This has none of the advantages of convergence (i.e. it runs wether or not it needs to run, and it runs at a preset time instead of as soon as the need is detected) but it works.

I just had an idea: what about something like this:

groups:
have_cfengine_init = ( 'chkconfig -c cfengine 3 && chkconfig -c cfengine 5' )

shellcommands:
 !have_cfengine_init::
   "chkconfig -a cfengine"

If I understood you right this should add the links only when necessary without fooling with the SuSE scheme of installing init scripts.

Hey, that's not bad. That works great, in fact. I still have to run an external command, but the -c checks are much lighter than recomputing the dependencies. Thanks for the suggestion.