works in 2.0.8p1, doesn't work in 2.1.0b4/5

From: Kurt Lieber
Subject: works in 2.0.8p1, doesn't work in 2.1.0b4/5
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:57:15 -0400

After upgrading to 2.1.0b4 (and subsequently b5) pretty much everything
outside of updating cf configuration files themselves stopped functioning.
I had the following very basic copy command in my main cfagent.conf file:

copy:
    all::
        $(master_files)/etc/ntp.conf.default    dest=/etc/ntp.conf
                                                define=_ntp_bounce
                                                type=checksum
                                                syslog=true
                                                server=$(gold)
                                                force=true

And it did not work.  (I mv'd the existing /etc/ntp.conf file out of the
way before running cfagent and yes, things like $(gold) and $(master_files)
are properly defined elsewhere in the conf file)

Running 'cfagent -v' along with 'cfservd -d2' showed that the copy command
was getting picked up, but nothing was being done with it.  Where I would
normally expect to see something like:

 Main Tree Sched: copy pass 1 @ Sun Oct 12 14:51:22 2003

Checking copy from gold:/var/cfengine/repository/files/etc/ntp.conf.default to
/etc/ntp.conf
Connect to gold = 10.1.1.1 on port cfengine
Loaded /var/cfengine/ppkeys/root-10.1.1.1.pub
cfengine:client: Strong authentication of server=gold connection confirmed
cfengine:client: Update of image /etc/ntp.conf from master
/var/cfengine/repository/files/etc/ntp.conf.default on gold
cfengine:client: /etc/ntp.conf had permission 600, changed it to 644
Saving the setuid log in /var/cfengine/cfagent.client.log
Job start time set to Sun Oct 12 14:51:22 2003

I instead saw:

 Main Tree Sched: copy pass 1 @ Sun Oct 12 14:51:22 2003

Saving the setuid log in /var/cfengine/cfagent.client.log
Job start time set to Sun Oct 12 14:51:22 2003

Additionally, custom actionsequence classes I had defined to do things like
check/change file permissions stopped working as well, with log entries
similar to the one above.

Making no other changes to the config files, I downgraded to 2.0.8p1 and
things started working again.

Are there major differences in the configuration syntax between 2.0 and 2.1
or is there a problem elsewhere?

I'm happy to provide further details, including full configuration files,
off list.

--kurt