Re: debian package cfengine2 is broken? permissions on /var/lib/cfengine

From: Phil D'Amore
Subject: Re: debian package cfengine2 is broken? permissions on /var/lib/cfengine2
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:56:44 -0400

The real directory it is complaining about here is probably /var/lib/cfengine2/ppkeys. This bit me with my RPM after going to 2.0.8p1. I'm assuming w/o RTFS that there was a check placed in the code to verify the perms on the key directory (ppkeys) are tight. When cfkey runs and no ppkeys directory exists it is auto-created mode 0400, so there is no issue. For me, I found that I was not preserving this in my RPM's %files section, and upgrades where causing the permissions to revert to something less secure, causing cfengine to complain.

Explicitly fixing my package to set the perms on the ppkeys dir to 0400 solves it.

Kief Morris wrote:

I'm no longer able to install the cfengine2 package from the testing
distribution of Debian.
Upgrading it on machines where it's already installed doesn't seem to cause a
problem,
but a new install gets an error when I do apt-get install cfengine2:

   Selecting previously deselected package cfengine2.
  (Reading database ... 14446 files and directories currently installed.)
   Unpacking cfengine2 (from .../cfengine2_2.0.9+2.1.0b3-1_i386.deb) ...
   Setting up cfengine2 (2.0.9+2.1.0b3-1) ...
   ::UNTRUSTED: Private key directory /var/lib/cfengine2 was not private!

The /var/lib/cfengine2 directory doesn't exist before I run the install, so
it's the
install process which is setting up the directory and then bitching that it
doesn't
like the permissions on it.

I'm asking here because I've seen a couple messages on this list about
permissions on this directory under Debian, so I'm wondering if there's a link,
or at least people who understand what's going wrong.

Thanks,
Kief