Re: Burning down LISA?

From: Kurt Lieber
Subject: Re: Burning down LISA?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:25:02 -0500

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:11:44AM -0800 or thereabouts,
Sean.Lally@crownpeak.com wrote:
> Anybody having any problems getting to LISA?  A lot of flights were/are
> being cancelled due to the fires.
>
> I don't fly out Tuesday until night-- anything I should be concerned about?

My parents live in San Diego.  They're safe where they are, but sent me the
following description of the area:

"We woke up yesterday to find ourselves under a *h*u*g*e* cloud of
smoke.  Ash fell all day, and we tried to stay inside.  The freeways,
I-15, I-805, 52, and 163, and a part of I-8 were closed yesterday, so
I-5 carried all the traffic and was a mess until late last night.  Only
52 is still closed today.  The whole city of San Diego is closed down
today, and the freeways are practically empty.  The city, county, all
schools, and most employers heeded the mayor's request and told people
to stay home.  Some 2000 people are in shelters because of massive
evacuations."

No word on how long the voluntary closure is supposed to last, but the
fires are still going strong today, last I heard.

--kurt