Re: [Cfengine] Resolve and purging

From: Bas van der Vlies
Subject: Re: [Cfengine] Resolve and purging
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:19:45 +0100

Chip Seraphine wrote:

The docs list this as a feature, so I'm sending this grumble to help- instead of bugs-.

The resolve: section really needs some sort of purge attribute. The syntax of it make it very nice for maintaining the resolver, but it's inability to remove lines make it impractical; you end up having to use editfiles: or copy: instead. Editfiles is clumsy for maintaining entire files and copy: isn't a good choice when your basic assumption is that your network configuration is hosed.

Before I go about writing/submitting a patch with a 'PurgeResolver' variable, is there a known reason why it (currently) won't delete lines? I agree that it is reasonable default behavior, but making it mandatory severely limits the usefulness of resolve: to environments where old DNS servers never get decommissioned, nobody every makes typos, DNSs are never re-IP'd, etc. This makes me think that the thinking behind this limitation is grounded in reasons other than technical, so I'd like to get some clarification lest I submit a patch that will just be shot down....

You have my vote. I was also ending up with old lines in my resolv.conf and switched to copy/editfiles sequence. I can not think of a reason for it.

*  Bas van der Vlies                     e-mail: basv@sara.nl      *