Re: copy:: problem

From: Pete Ehlke
Subject: Re: copy:: problem
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:24:02 -0800

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 09:12:46AM -0800, Pete Ehlke wrote:

> Having an exceptionally odd issue with a copy:: stanza. Given this
> fragment, copying files from one directory to another on $(policyhost)
> itself:

For the record:

By coincidence, Eric Sorenson happened to be working on the same problem
in his own environment at the same time I was beating my head on this.
The issue, for which Eric submitted a patch to bugs-,  is that
cfengine's "Unique file lock" isn't exactly unique: the lock name is a
concatenation of 50 characters from each of the source and destination,
so if you're doing copies to and from long path names, you end up
reusing the same lock for different copy operations.

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-cfengine/2004-01/msg00019.html

John Wheeler suggested a somewhat cleaner single copy: stanza using
includes, which does work for the specific case that I described, but
does not work for other cases I have (or for the cases that Eric had) in
which there is not necessarily a one-to-one equivalence of source and
destination file names.

Mark, how are you feeling about Eric's patch?

Thanks!

-Pete