defunct ifconfig (revisited)

From: Lance Albertson
Subject: defunct ifconfig (revisited)
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 07:19:31 -0500

Hey all,

Me and Mark have been trying to debug that silly ifconfig issue off list
(was sending debug info that may have sensitive info on it, thus why I
didn't send directly to the list at first). We finally got something
figured out possibly, but we're not sure what's causing it.

Here's what we've figured out so far:

1) The problem doesn't exist if you run cfagent with -k, disabling
remote-copy.
2) There seems to be a strange signal coming from ifconfig or the system
itself, below is some conversation we had about it.

-----------
From: Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no

Do any other things affect this? I cannot really see the connection
between the defunct process and the copy problem, nor what causes the
copy problem.

It almost looks as though the client is getting a tcp reset

24508 recv(3, 0x58d6a530, 8, 0)         = ? ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)

But I cannot find this error message off hand. Perhaps the recv loop just
needs to handle this error condition somehow.
------------

In my most recent email from Mark:

-----------
From: Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no

> 24508 recv(3, 0x58d6a530, 8, 0)     = ? ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)

Seems as thought this is some new internal linux kernel thing.
It looks as though the kernel is recommending recalling the
system call (strange idea). So a patch to that effect might work,
unless we can figure out the connection between this and calling
ifconfig to begin with.
-----------

And now, this is where we are. Does anyone have ideas what would be
causing this? Was there something recently introduced in the kernel that
could be causing this? Sorry if this email is vague on whats going on
exactly, if you need more debug output, I can provide some more.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

--
Lance Albertson <ramereth@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Infrastructure

---
GPG Public Key:  <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1  4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742

ramereth/irc.freenode.net