Nice levels

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Nice levels
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:21:06 -0500

I run my cfexecd's and cfservd's at nice level 15 so that when they launch a
cfagent on a production box the agent doesn't use too much CPU.  That's all
well and good, but when my processes: section restarts something it, too
starts at nice level 15.  Having your mysqld running at such a low priority
is not a good thing!!

Anybody else had to deal with this?  Any ideas or suggestions?

(For the record, the priority level is to keep some real-time sensitive
systems from having to give up more than a point or two of CPU.  It's a
fairly inflexible external requirement, so I can't just up the nice level of
the daemons.)

--

Chip Seraphine
Unix Administrator