Process defunct

From: RT
Subject: Process defunct
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 14:47:21 +0200 (Romance Daylight Time)

Hi group

Have a process problem I hope you can help me with. We are using cfengine on some of our linux network monitors. One of the processes is called 'Sniffer' and some time this process crashes. The problem is that the process will not disappear but a ps -A command will show:

sniffer  (defunct)

Due to this the service will not get restarted in the processes: facility, as the process is apparently detected as 'alive'

Any idea how to get cfengine to restart a process when it "defunct's"?

Thanks in advance

Rasmus