re: Out-of-band subnet and domainname issues

From: Glen Trudgett
Subject: re: Out-of-band subnet and domainname issues
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:34:23 +1000

Hello to all,

I am new to the virtues of cfengine, but understand enough to realise
that it would be of great benefit. But we have a unusual setup. We have
constructed a security subnet for out-of-band system management. My
problem is this;

We have two NIC's per machine. First NIC holds the "public" network
interface which is described by the FQDN. (e.g. webserver.company.com).
The second NIC is in a private LAN (192.168.*.*) and is our admin
network. I would like to be able to setup cfengine to run within the
private LAN network (NIC 2).

First NIC has DNS resolution to the various domains.

My question is this, how do I setup cfengine to work in the 192.168
subnet, even though DNS resolution will occur from the public domain?

The private subnet can resolve (internal DNS)IP addresses to desginated
hostnames, although, 'dnsdomainname' will always provide the public
facing domainname.

What possibilities are there to make things work, if possible?

Thanks

--
Glen Trudgett <Glen.Trudgett@det.nsw.edu.au>
Dept. Of Education and Training