Re: what's cfexecd for? (was cfexecd, FatalError(), leaves cfagent)

From: Andrew Stribblehill
Subject: Re: what's cfexecd for? (was cfexecd, FatalError(), leaves cfagent)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:58:37 +0100

Quoting Will Lowe <harpo@thebackrow.net> (2004-10-07 19:48:12 BST):

> > I like it.  Of course, I'd be even happier if cfexecd had its own
> > config file-- all my ReturnsZero()s in groups: always fire when
>
> Why do folks here use cfexecd at all?  In my case, I'm calling cfagent
> from cron -- and I use cfexecd because it's the only way to capture
> output from cfagent and keep cron from mailing it to root.
>
> Maybe the right thing to do is to make some changes to cfengine's
> logging, and stop using cfexecd altogether?

Okay, SplayTime and stuff are hacks and should in principle be
implemented by cron... when I get enough round tuits, I'll do that.
But cfexecd can schedule stuff in a more Cfengine-like way than ever
Cron could. That, along with logging and reporting, is why _I_ use
cfexecd. Oh, and quite importantly, the fact that duplicate runs'
outputs are squashed.

That said, there's nothing especially Cfengine-specific about the
functionality of cfexecd (though there obviously is in its
configuration). Maybe it is ripe for factoring out...

--
ROCKALL MALIN
NORTH 5 GRADUALLY VEERING NORTHEAST 3 OR 4. SHOWERS. GOOD