Detecting unused CPUs on Linux

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Detecting unused CPUs on Linux
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:18:04 -0500

I'm working on some lilo-management stuff and I would like to be able to
detect SMP machines under Linux (Mandrake).  No problem at all if the machine
is already running an SMP kernel-- I can just count the CPUs in /proc/
cpuinfo, among other ways.

Unfortunately, it's a bit tougher if the box is running a uniprocessor kernel.
On some systems, I can search the dmesg for the string NR_CPUs (which appears
only in an "unused processsors" warning) to know that I have some unused
CPUs, but that isn't always present in the dmesg (seems to appear on my
PowerEdges but not my Dimensions, not sure why...).

Anybody else know of any automated way of telling if I am dragging a CPU?

--

Chip Seraphine
Unix Administrator