Re: is this a bug in cfengine?

From: Joe Moore
Subject: Re: is this a bug in cfengine?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:38:50 -0500

Nielsen, Steve wrote:

I am trying to control the order in which my actions runs. (See script below):

Things run in this order:
-------------------------
1. shellcommands.first and shellcommands run together
2. then shellcommands.second runs
3. then shellcommands.last runs

I would expect things to run in the order I specifiy.

Why does cfengine behave in this way? Is this a bug?

It looks like the right output...

shellcommands.first defines the "first" class temporarily. Class any still applies, so you get
FIRST
ANY

Then shellcommands with temp class "second" then kicks off, so you get
SECOND
However, since the timeout hasn't elapsed for the "/bin/echo ANY" command, it isn't run this time.

Then shellcommands with temp class "last" runs, so you get
LAST
And again, since the timeout hasn't elapsed, you don't get ANY.

Then shellcommands (without any temp class), where only the any:: class would apply, but since the timeout hasn't elapsed, it doesn't print.

--Joe