OutputPrefix

From: Brian E. Seppanen
Subject: OutputPrefix
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:29:46 -0500 (EST)

I love Output Prefix.  I don't know if I'm strange or not, but I'm hoping
to use OutputPrefix in each specific cf that is activated by cfagent,
which would require output prefix to be redefined (and which is giving me
the following error: Warning: Redefinition of macro OutputPrefix).  I
can't claim to understand the implications to code modifications required
to allow it, but I would like to present it as a feature request.

I have cfagent use an output prefix of init-> which is defined in
update.conf.  During the cfagent run, it interprets a host as having two
other corresponding classes.  one is a hard class of linux which runs cf.linux
which has an output prefix defined under control in cf.linux as
linux+$host.  The host also belongs to group servicea, and servicea has output
prefix
defined under control as cf.servicea as servicea+$host.

update.conf is run and copies relevent config files and then cfagent.conf
runs with those interpreted configs

init->:in/cfagent -i -: Looking for an input file
/var/cfengine/inputs/cfagent.conf
init->:in/cfagent -i -: Looking for an input file cf.groups
init->:in/cfagent -i -: Looking for an input file cf.servicea
init->:in/cfagent -i -: Looking for an input file cf.linux
init->:in/cfagent -i -: Finished with /var/cfengine/inputs/cfagent.conf

The output I think would be very useful is

init->:in/cfagent -i -: linux+masterhost->: Update of image
/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.linux from master /var/cfengine/os/linux/cf.linux
on localhost
init->:in/cfagent -i -: linux+masterhost->: Group of
/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.linux was 0, setting to 1
init->:in/cfagent -f -: servicea+masterhost->: Update of image
/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.servicea from master
/var/cfengine/services/servicea/cf.servicea
...etc...

The output that I get is

init->:in/cfagent -i -: Checking copy from
localhost:/var/cfengine/os/linux/cf.linux to /var/cfengine/inputs/cf.linux
init->:in/cfagent -i -: linux+masterhost->: Update of image
/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.linux from master /var/cfengine/os/linux/cf.linux
on localhost
init->:in/cfagent -i -: linux+masterhost->: Group of
/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.linux was 0, setting to 1
init->:in/cfagent -i -: linux+masterhost->: Object
/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.linux had permission 600, changed it to 664
init->:in/cfagent -i -: Checking copy from
localhost:/var/cfengine/services/servicea/cf.servicea to
/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.servicea
init->:in/cfagent -i -: linux+masterhost->: Update of image
/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.servicea from master
/var/cfengine/services/servicea/cf.servicea on localhost
init->:in/cfagent -i -: linux+masterhost->: Object
/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.servicea had permission 600, changed it to 644
init->:in/cfagent -i -: Saving the setuid log in
/var/cfengine/cfagent.masterhost.domaina.log

With the following error further up indicating that I can't redefine it.

init->: Executing script /var/cfengine/sbin/cfagent -i -v -f
/var/cfengine/inputs/cfagent.conf...(timeout=0,uid=-1,gid=-1)
(Setting umask to 77)
init->:in/cfagent -i -: cfengine::/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.linux:23:
Warning: Redefinition of macro OutputPrefix=linux+masterhost-> (or perhaps
missing quote)

Would there be any hope in this being added?    i would hope that others
would find that sort of behavior useful.    I believe it would enhance
readability.

My end goal for this is to use a standardized naming to permit stripping
of some of the output to summarize activities, so the cfengine ignorant
can see what is happening.  such that I end up with
/var/log/cfengine/host/class/date/time.txt I would
use the emailed output sent through procmail parsed and dumped to that
hierarchy.

Is it possible that I've missed the obvious and I can create the
functionality at this time with modifications to execution and configs and
requiring no modifications to code?

Thanks for all of the help.

Brian Seppanen
seppy@chartermi.net