Re: running cfengine across firewall

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: running cfengine across firewall
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:11:25 -0600

Whats that famous OSS quote?

"Before many eyes, all bugs are shallow."

I don't mind using an application specific protocol on a LAN, but on
the internet I prefer to use a wide spread protocol. Perhaps its the
hiding in a crowd mentality, or the hope that with huge numbers of
people relying on SSH, holes will be found quickly and fixed.

Really, cfservd is alot easier.

It just occurred to me, but maybe we can tunnel cfservd (tcp port 5308?)
over stunnel or a traditional SSH tunnel. That would rock!

I wonder what type of key issues would be involved connecting to
localhost for everything. Can we dynamically set port numbers for
cfservd connections? That would cinch it!

On a different security related note, I wish that cfengine supported
GPG. I don't care where my configs get downloaded from, only that they
are signed as coming from the proper administrator to prevent
tampering. Does anyone else see this as useful?

Keep up the good work Mark. =]

Russell