Re: TextSQL?

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: TextSQL?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:00:48 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:

This one time, at band camp, Tim Nelson wrote:
-------------------------------------
WHERE
        CurrentBlock = "service amanda"
        AND Field(0) = "disable"
DO
        Field(1) = yes
-------------------------------------

        What do you think?

I think that it's a more verbose way of writing it, but adds nothing that
the existing syntax suggestions don't already cover... plus, it has the
disadvantage of looking like SQL :-)

I guess my point is, Mark has, in his attempts to get us to think convergently, come up with functions with names like "DeleteLinesNotMatchingFileItems", but no function named "DeleteLinesMatchingFileItems". I've previously suggested that we separate them, and use IF and FOR statement in editfiles. Mark doesn't like these ideas, because they don't encourage people to think convergently. I think that state setting instead of procedural thinking is more conducive to convergent thinking (not sure whether Mark agrees here) (and a warning that I have a tendency to think procedurally :) ). I was wondering if he might feel more comfortable with a more SQL-like setup, as SQL essentially is (to my mind) more state-setting than procedural. The reason I made it more verbose is because that's what Mark likes. Personally, I like Perl's style, but the point here is not to reinvent Perl :).

Btw, I was having trouble keeping track of all the editfiles suggestions, so I made a Wiki page called Editfiles (link below) that has a brief blurb on each, and a link to them.

http://cfwiki.org/cfwiki/index.php/Editfiles

        :)

--
Tim Nelson