Re: Not technical: strategy against competition ?

From: Christian Pearce
Subject: Re: Not technical: strategy against competition ?
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 07:58:35 -0400

I looked at N1.  It is pretty much a pipe dream right now (at least what
they claim it will do).  SUN pumped it big when the idea of utility
computing was the big buzz.  They bought two companies, one that does
blade image management, the other is high level policy definition for a
service you want to provide.  They attempted to marry the two together
and called it N1.  The reality is all the original people left and I
haven't heard squat about it since.

OpForce looks interesting.   I have not had a chance to evaluate the
software.   I am not certain if they bought or developed it.

First what makes you think you need cfengine?  If cfengine is capable of
providing value for you organization then illustrating this to your boss
should be simple.  In other words do you have a lot of machines that are
managed ad hoc and suffer from downtime due to operator error?  Change
you devise a plan that will use cfengine to reduce this downtime?  There
are other ways to approach this.

If your boss has the mindset that simply buying a product will solve his
problem, then you have different issues to deal with.