Feature request: Make undefined variables an error

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Feature request: Make undefined variables an error
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:49:13 -0500

For about the one bajillionth time, I troubleshot a problem in my environment and it came back to some variable being undefined. Rather than put explicit tests (strcmps and whatnot) for every variable I ever set, I would be much happier if I could pass some sort of switch to cfengine that would cause it to simply fail with a useful error message whenever a variable went undefined rather than handling as a string that happens to begin with '$'. It is far safer and more secure to abort than to run commands with garbage inputs....

I'm quite comfortable using $(dollar) when I need to, so I can't think of a downside of tis...

--

Chip Seraphine
Unix Administrator