Re: Feature request: Make undefined variables an error

From: Eric Sorenson
Subject: Re: Feature request: Make undefined variables an error
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:24:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Chip Seraphine wrote:

> I can understand the desire to avoid gazillions of getopts, but I don't see a
> good way around it if we are to avoid a behavior change.

Yes, fair enough. And thanks to Alexander for the real-world use case,
which is sufficient proof this is needed.

> I think at the very least a warning should be dumped ("Warning, variable
> $(foo) not expanded") or whatever, with a switch that enables such warnings to
> be fatal.  (We could probably have a general purpose "Warnings are fatal"
> option, so that similar changes in the future won't need to further pollute
> the getoptery.)

I just found another gotcha while helping somebody with filters. There
are reserved variables that we need to check for and allow to be
undefined. The one I found is $(this). Doesn't look like there are any
others, but this points up the need for greater caution as we're hacking.

--
 - Eric Sorenson - N37 17.255 W121 55.738 - http://eric.explosive.net -
 - Personal colo with a professional touch - http://www.explosive.net -