Problems with .local in Mac OS X computer names

From: Ski Kacoroski
Subject: Problems with .local in Mac OS X computer names
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:46:43 -0700

Hi,

I have several Macs that for some reason have hostnames with a ".local" attached like so:

[Library:~] root# hostname
Library.local

This breaks cfengine with errors like:

[Library:~] root# /usr/local/sbin/cfagent -IqK
cfengine:: Couldn't lookup IP address
cfengine:: gethostbyaddr: Unknown error: 0
cfengine:: Id-authentication for Library.local.nsd.org failed

Does anyone know how/why the .local is added to the name and how to stop it?

Thanks in advance.

ski

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
 connected to the entire universe"            John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, ski@nsd.org, 425-489-6263