Re: Possible bug: parsing/scheduling of editfiles sections in multiple c

From: Luke Kanies
Subject: Re: Possible bug: parsing/scheduling of editfiles sections in multiple cfengine scripts
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:55:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Berthold Cogel wrote:

> If I define a actionsequence I expect it to be executed in the defined
> order.

I haven't checked it in a while, but last time I did there was a
relatively clear algorithm for scheduling.  It had two stages:

1) All actions are scheduled in the order of first specification
throughout the whole file.  It doesn't matter how many times you specify
'copy' or anything; the first time you specify any action it is slotted
into the action sequence.  Once you have specified that an action is in
the actionsequence, any other unqualified specifications of that action
are entirely redundant.

2) All of the qualified actions are scheduled.  I don't quite remember
if all of the qualified actions always run after all other actions, but
I do know that their ordering is entirely unrelated to the ordering of
unqualified actions.

So, as recommended by Ed Brown, you should either 1) do your best not to
care about ordering, or 2) qualify all of your actions.

--
I have a switch in my apartment... It doesn't do anything. Every once
in a while, I turn it on and off. One day I got a call... It was from