Re: feature request

From: Paul Krizak
Subject: Re: feature request
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:25:16 -0500

I like this idea. It would help us to move toward our goal of being able to dynamically configure any of our hosts. In this case, we could just set the DNS alias for, say, our web server, to whatever system, then when cfagent runs it magically turns into a web server.

Paul Krizak                         5900 E. Ben White Blvd. MS 625
Advanced Micro Devices              Austin, Tx  78741
CAD Systems Engineering             Phone: (512) 602-8775
Paul.Krizak@amd.com

Brendan Strejcek wrote:
Many of my servers have an arbitrary host name and a meaningful DNS
alias service name. It is impractical for cfagent to figure out all the
aliases that map back to a particular hostname, but checking a single
DNS alias should not be bad.

I would like something like this (maybe with a better function name):

    classes:
        loghost_dns_alias = ( DNSAlias(loghost) )

Currently I use nasty code like this:

    shellcommands:
        any::
            # Figure out if I am the loghost.
            "/bin/test `hostname` = `host loghost|perl -e'${dollar}_=<>;s/.*alias
for (.*)\./${dollar}1/;print'`"
                define=loghost
loghost:: "/do/stuff"

Just an idea.

Or if anyone has a better idea for how to accomplish the same thing...

Best,
Brendan

--
Senior System Administrator