RE: Need 'UncommentAndSetValue' or some such

From: David Masterson
Subject: RE: Need 'UncommentAndSetValue' or some such
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:51:15 -0700

Brendan Strejcek wrote:
> Well, I just whipped up a quick perl analysis (see below for the
> possibly buggy code) of my cfengine policy files, based on line
> counts, and this is what I get:
>
>     editfiles       1133
>     shellcommands    614
>     control          436
>     classes          417
>     copy             335
>     comment          333
>     files            301
>     import           285
>     links            258
>     disable          161
>     alerts            93
>     processes         91
>     strategies        21
>     tidy              17
>     disks             15
>     groups            14
>     grant              6
>     ignore             3
>
> I rarely write long lines, so I think that is probably good data. I
> did not actually expect to see that so much of it was editfiles, but
> it is interesting to know. This manages various parts of about 200
> machines, maybe 10 different OSs.

Now if it could only be abstracted...

I think CFEngine implements two things -- policies and protocols.  Policies
are the answers to "what type of system is this?"  Protocols are the answers
to "how do I implement a policy?"  My question is has anyone given thought to
producing generic protocols for CFEngine that could be used everywhere
(within the assumptions of the protocol)?
--
David Masterson
VMware, Inc.