Re: Problems configuring cfengine 2.1.17 on Solaris10

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Problems configuring cfengine 2.1.17 on Solaris10
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 22:55:26 +0000

[Attempting to post onto Cc:d lists that bounced my reply.]

Brendan Strejcek <brendan@cs.uchicago.edu> writes:

> So I don't think this is a big deal. If you control the machine enough
> to get cfexecd on there in the first place, you also control it enough
> to create any environment that cfexecd needs.

To some extent, but that's not really the point.  It's maintaining the
setup, which presumably you want to do with cfengine, and realizing
that you suddenly have to jump through hoops in the first place after
a cfengine update.  Doubtless others have more control, but consider
inheriting a heterogeneous network of boxes (at least three versions
just of Solaris, at random patch levels) that may be switched off for
long periods, can't be updated at arbitrary times, may not have enough
space in / to install much extra, so that /usr/local must shared, &c;
then there is a non-trivial problem in my experience.