Re: copy and editfiles on the same file

From: Paul Krizak
Subject: Re: copy and editfiles on the same file
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:05:52 -0600

This is a pretty common problem discussed on this list, and there have been many suggestions to solve it.

Browse around through the archives; you're bound to find some useful information.

In early November there was a discussion with subject "editfiles methodology question" that discussed some of these issues.

I also started a discussion that got into this topic in a thread titled "ctime vs checksum in copies".

Finally, there was a discussion just a couple weeks ago titled "editfiles template; multiple edits; setting a class on update" that brought up some of these issues.

There are probably more -- I found these by searching for "ExpandVariables" in my e-mail archive.

Paul Krizak                         5900 E. Ben White Blvd. MS 625
Advanced Micro Devices              Austin, TX  78741
Linux/Unix Systems Engineering      Phone: (512) 602-8775
Microprocessor Solutions Sector

chove@crans.org wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to copy a file from my main server and then edit it (add lines
containing the name of the server).

So my conf files seems to :

copy:
  ${basefiles}/etc/test       dest=/etc/test
                              server=${policyhost}
editfiles:
  { /etc/test
  }
But the copy/editfiles is done every time if run cfrun, because copy see
that the files changed so copy it again, and edit file too.

Is there a solution for editfiles not changes informations used by copy
directive ?

Thanks.