Re: Editfiles in inform mode

From: christian pearce
Subject: Re: Editfiles in inform mode
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:56:40 -0500

On 2/22/06, Mark Burgess <Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 08:49 -0500, christian pearce wrote:
> > That is what I am trying to figure out.  Is the Inform setting suppose
> > to print out the messages that it is editing a file?  I would say yes.
> >  if not what else is it for?
>
> Of course, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone agrees on
> what they want to hear about.

Right and that is the point of having the switch "Inform true" for
each editfiles statement.  But that doesn't appear to work.  I am just
trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong.  I am not
suggesting you alter the policy.  I am trying to determine if the
switch is functioning properly or I am not understanding the switch.

> > I will try to deal with it later. As it is I won't be able to upgrade,
> > since I have a stack of issues with versions beyond 2.1.15.
>
> Well, instead of internalizing your annoyance it might be helpful to try
> to solve them. There is no going back.

Annoyances have nothing to do with it.  I am in a corporate
environment.  I just can't tell them they have to upgrade.  Plus I
have to fix the my cfengine scripts to work with the new code.  I am
not certain how I am going to do that.  And at this point they are
expecting results for managing their servers.  Not managing their
cfengine binaries.

Christian Pearce