Re: creating, fixing files

From: Ed Brown
Subject: Re: creating, fixing files
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:51:21 -0600

This has come up a few times in the past, it's really a surprising and disappointing missing capability. I don't think you CAN both create a file if it's missing and fix permissions on an existing file, with one 'files:' statement. A suggested workaround is two files actions, with 'ifelapsed=0' to avoid locking issues.

-Ed

Atom Powers wrote:
I am trying to write a rule that creates a file, directory if it
doesn't exist, and enfoce ACLs on it if it does. I am trying to use:
--
    /var/log/service.log
        mode=640    owner=service    group=wheel

But this doesn't work, it failes because it's trying to fix a file
that doesn't exist.
--
cfengine:host: Cannot access file/directory /var/log/service.log
cfengine:host: File/Dir /var/log/service.log did not exist and was

What is the correct way to do this?