help-debbugs

Re: Searching bugs before filing new ones

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Searching bugs before filing new ones
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 09:15:33 +0100

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Glenn,

>> When I search for "next-line previous-line goal-column" (without the
>> quotes), I find *nothing*...
>
> I suspect it is a literal search.
>
>> When I search for "next-line, previous-line and goal-column" I get 4
>> bugs again.
>>
>> Why does that comma and the "and" make any difference?
>
> From trying to read the code, eg
>
> http://bzr.donarmstrong.com/debbugs/branches/emacsbugs/cgi/pkgreport.cgi

To cite a colleague of mine: I can read it, but I cannot understand
it. ;-)

> it looks like "," acts as OR.

Oh, indeed, I think I can confirm that after playing around with it.

> So you are searching for "next-line" OR "previous-line and
> goal-column".

Is there some special character acting as an AND, too?

> The advertized way to do an OR is to specify "with subject containing"
> option multiple times. These seem to give equivalent results.

For the time being, I've just mentioned that keywords should be comma
separated in the interactive spec of
`report-emacs-bug-query-existing-bugs'.

> There is a fancier search at http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/search.cgi,
> but it does not work, since it needs "Hyper Estraier" support to be
> activated and I do not know how to do that.

I guess that's the full text search Michael Albinus is talking about in

> I'm not sure how useful it is, given that G**gle searches of
> site:debbugs.gnu.org work, and that
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/ is also searchable.

I think these two possibilities have the disadvantage of matching
against the whole text, so searching for multi-tty will find all bug
reports, because multi-tty is a default feature and listed in the
Features list you get from `report-emacs-bug'.  Additionally, you cannot
restrict the search to open bugs.

Bye,
Tassilo