help-debbugs

Re: debbugs2p development system web status update

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: debbugs2p development system web status update
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:02:33 -0600

Hi Michael!

Thinking about this a little more I don't think that development
system is linked in by DNS name from anywhere.  Which means the botnet
probing it was probing it using a site name of the IP address.  Which
works because there are not VirtualHosts set up in the Apache config.
It's all _default_ funneling all requests to the main site.  Even
though they were crawling it by IP address.

I think it would be useful to modify that so that the main site
requires the name site as a VirtualHost and the let _default_ funnel
all other requests into a simple landing page.  That would mostly
avoid the endless onslaught of botnets probing IP addresses from
landing there and then overloading the web site crawling the archive
of postings.

It does not address legitimate crawlings by name for the production
site.  But for the development site it should raise the fence level
for getting over it into the archive.

I'll try to remember that this is something to try once we get back to
hacking on it.  It is the type of change I am comfortable making.
Once I have a little time to do it! :-)

Bob