Re: Compiling code generated by flex 2.5.4 with g++ 3.0.3 on linu x

From: W. L. Estes
Subject: Re: Compiling code generated by flex 2.5.4 with g++ 3.0.3 on linu x
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:51:16 -0400

On Tuesday, 13 August 2002,18:35 +0200, address@hidden wrote:

> Can you tell me what's the matter with the flex development. On the gnu.org
> page and on most of the ftp servers the current version is still 2.5.4 -
> that's also the case in our linux distribution. Was the software mantainance
> moved away from GNU / FSF? It would be nice if you could bring me a little
> bit up to date.

1: flex is not a GNU project.

2: Vern Paxson, the former maintainer, had to stop maintaining flex
due to his other duties.

3: We're working on getting out an official release of flex (that is,
a release that is not beta) but it's taking a while. I suspect that
with a little more feedback and testing, that the current beta code
will be more-or-less what gets released.

4: Even after the release, it will be a while before the various
operating system vendors pick up new versions of flex.

Thanks,

--Will