Re: Some issues wrt compilation on Windows using VS.NET

From: Hans-Bernhard Broeker
Subject: Re: Some issues wrt compilation on Windows using VS.NET
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:22:32 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, John wrote:

[...]
> popen() won't help. Flex doesn't exec every time it forks. As I
> understand, pipe/fork/exec/wait are available everywhere except
> .NET...

I rather strongly doubt that DJGPP (or any DOS compiler, for that matter)
has, had, or ever will have a truly working pipe() or fork(), or wait().

I.e. if you fork(), but things done by parent and child are anything but a
pair of wait() / exec(), you're incompatible to all single-tasking OSs out
there.  E.g. on MS-DOS platforms the full triplet of fork()+exec()+wait()
can effectively be replaced by the spawn() family of system calls, but the
individual functions effectively can't be implemented.

pipe() is even worse: the whole concept doesn't exist on DOS.

NB: last I looked, DJGPP did have a working port of flex --- I hope that
stays true for the next release.

--
Hans-Bernhard Broeker (address@hidden)