Re: Some issues wrt compilation on Windows using VS.NET

From: John
Subject: Re: Some issues wrt compilation on Windows using VS.NET
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 16:03:48 -0400 (EDT)

> > As far as we know, Flex builds fine on Windows under Cygwin. What
> > would compiling under .NET give us?
>
> The ability to build on a windows box that doesn't have cygwin.  I'll
> admit this is not a particularly great win.

It's actually a loss. Everytime we branch the flex code, we lose.
Since there is a perfectly accessible way to compile flex on Win32
without having to branch the code, then why in the world would we want
to branch it?

Experience tells us that every Microsoft API, platform, OS, etc.  has
a life span of just a few short years. How long do you think .NET will
last?

> Also the main portability issues here apply just as much to DJGPP.

DJGPP? Somebody wake me up, please!