Re: Flex - Windows ("flex scanner push-back overflow" work around)

From: Dan Chalk
Subject: Re: Flex - Windows ("flex scanner push-back overflow" work around)
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:53:38 -0000

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for the help, since speaking to you I've managed to find a
pre-compiled version of flex that seems to run fine on my system from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23617&release_id=83241.
I seem now to be stuck on a problem that, according to the diagnosis
section, is a matter of missing functionality but would really appreciate
any comment you had on it (if you get a second).  My project is orientated
around producing a C++ code sample critquer to allow the first years on my
course (or indeed any course) to have 'teacher style' comments added to
solutions they give for randomly provided exercises (since the limitations
in seminar leaders time often prevents this).  Obviously though the regular
expression patterns I'm using for the statement structures are quite long
and as a result I'm getting the "flex scanner push-back overflow" error when
I try to push my input file through flex.  I can't seem to find any
solutions or work rounds on the web and was wondering if you had come across
any reliable way of handling this?

Thanks a lot,
Dan.

P.S.  I've attached my flex input file so far, the first set of definitions
work fine but the second set
(factor/expression/expressionassignment/assignment/condition) are causing
the overflow problem.