Re: reentrancy

From: Hans-Bernhard Broeker
Subject: Re: reentrancy
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:29:27 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Laurence Finston wrote:

> Since my package is for distribution, and not just for myself, using
> Flex 2.5.31 would mean that either its users would have to download
> and install Flex 2.5.31, or I'd have to distribute Flex 2.5.31 with
> GNU 3DLDF.

... or you could package prebuilt flex-generated C code along with the .l
source files.  Automake is smart enough (or at least it can be taught) not
to try to rebuild a generated file if you have an up-to-date copy of it in
your tarball.

That way, only people who not just want to build the program, but to
actually modify the .l sources, will need to get themselves a current
version of flex. Such requirements are generally considered reasonable as
long as the tools required are all free.

--
Hans-Bernhard Broeker (address@hidden)