Re: reentrancy

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: Re: reentrancy
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:21:36 +0100

Hans-Bernhard Broeker <address@hidden> wrote:

> ... or you could package prebuilt flex-generated C code along with the .l
> source files.  Automake is smart enough (or at least it can be taught) not
> to try to rebuild a generated file if you have an up-to-date copy of it in
> your tarball.
>
> That way, only people who not just want to build the program, but to
> actually modify the .l sources, will need to get themselves a current
> version of flex. Such requirements are generally considered reasonable as
> long as the tools required are all free.

This is quite true, but I do want people to be able to build my package from
the CWEB sources (I'm using CWEB for the Bison and Flex input files as well).

I'm now using the C++ scanner classes, and I've gotten it to work together
with my Bison parser, so I no longer need to use Flex 2.5.31.  However, I'd
still be interested to know what's likely to happen with them in a future
stable release, and when one is likely to be, especially since the last stable
release was in 1996 or 1997 and  there have apparently been 27 alpha or beta
releases since Flex 2.5.4.
I haven't found anything about this on the Flex pages on the GNU or Source
Forge websites.

Laurence Finston
http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~lfinsto1